Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New wheeels by Andrea

So, my car died last week. It's a 2000 VW Jetta with 143,000 miles and needs Botox to help with some cosmetic issues. But despite the dents and dings, this car was AWESOME. Leather heated seats, 6 disc CD changer, moon roof, cool blue and red interior dash lights, premium sound, 1.8L Turbo engine....just awesome. But as it turns out, every car needs a functioning alternator. Go figure.

So now it's sitting in my parents' driveway, dead as a doornail. I still owe money on the car loan (that's what happens when you work at the mall and only pay the minimum) so I'm hoping to sell it to someone who has the ambition/skill to fix it up. There are plenty of people on Craigslist who would buy it...I hope.

So with the passing of the Jetta, I grieved for a bit, but quickly got over it when I realized this is the perfect opportunity for me to get something new. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage....and that baby carriage was never going to fit in the Jetta. So I knew that my next vehicle needed to have some decent cargo space to accommodate our future kids and all their stuff. Also, I try my best to be eco-conscious, so a Hybrid car/truck was pretty high on my list of priorities.

After lots of research and side-by-side comparisons online, I decided several months ago that I wanted a Ford Escape Hybrid. I found a used 2008 model on Vehix.com for a pretty good deal, and decided to buy it last Friday. It's amazing how a new set of wheels can change your attitude...I'm suddenly obsessed with gas mileage and watching the Hybrid Battery gauges to make sure I'm at optimum performance (which means no more zipping around with my 1.8L Turbo). I don't feel invisible anymore...the Jetta was so small that other drivers would often not see me and change lanes while I'm still in it. I swear it has a "Batman stealth" button that I accidently pushed on several occasions. It's nice to sit up high, to see and be seen. So R.I.P. Jetta, you served me well for 5 years...but spring is a time for change and new life in the Escape. Yay! Andrea

No comments: